Sunday, August 8, 2010

Going Gruene!

Let me start by saying that at some point we decided to draw up a list of creative ideas we wanted to execute over the summer as a family. We found a huge piece of butcher paper, wrote "The Summer of Fun" at the top and started listing out anything and everything our heart's desired. It included hikes, picnics, helicopter rides, seeing a play, a concert, etc. One of items was "Visit local towns" and under it we listed about 10 possible places as suggested by "Day Trips from Austin", published by Insiders' Guide. (Great book by the way!)

The first town we decided to visit was Gruene (pronounced Green). It's about 20 minutes from the ranch and so Lisa, Piper and I made a girls day out of it.

I immediately learned that Gruene is very special. Not only does it have the OLDEST dance hall in ALL of Texas to claim as it's own - it is just beautiful, quaint, colorful and has tons of great shopping, history, photographic opportunities and well, it's just an overall joy.

First thing we did was EAT! The recommendation for the Gristmill came highly from my mother-in-law (to be) and so we immediately headed there. First of all, it's like a 4 story tree house inside, was established in the 70's and has so much charm and character - I felt like I had stepped into a Peter Pan's playhouse. I highly recommend it for the ambiance...and the potato skins are pretty darn delicious to boot!

Then we stepped into the Gruene Antique Company. This place had anything and EVERYTHING. I was in heaven and immediately was glad that my boyfriend hadn't come along - as I took my sweet time and looked, looked, looked! Vintage toys, jewelry, quilts, cabinets, chandeliers, paintings, tea sets, etc, etc - you name it. I made it a point to take a card with me as I most definitely will be back to pick some pieces up for my boutique, such as the vintage men's shaving bar/mirror - what a great perfume/lotion display case!

And that was just the beginning, shop after shop - great photo op after another. Not to mention to the The Guadalupe River, just a few minutes walk - where Piper got to dip her toes and splash around for the first time. What a great place, a family hang out, an antique junkies haven. You name it - Gruene is definitely on the top of my list. And for those of you coming to visit...I can't wait to show it to you!

Love, Kristina 





2 comments:

  1. As per usual, i always find your posts very fascinating and eye opening to places i"ve missed having been to Austin a number of times. I feel like I get the best introduction hearing it from you :) Thanks for the post. I feel like I am right there with you when I read these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, Thanks for reading! What a great description of where my blog takes you. I love that this gives you a new outlook on a city you're familiar with! Whenever you get a chance to visit again, it will give you something to look forward to I hope. xo, K

    ReplyDelete