Monday, May 24, 2010

Boots MADE for walkin'!

In the small and charming village right outside of my mother-in-laws ranch is a gem that any boot lover would definitely get a kick out of, it's called the Wild West Store. If you are obsessed with boots, as I most definitely am...then ladies and gentlemen - this is the place for you. 

I cannot tell you how many times I have passed up fine jewelry from my man, for a pair of boots - Fiorentini & Baker, Frye, Prada and just recently a pair of knee high custom riding boots for Mother's Day. There is something magical about a pair of boots that fit and fit well. Doesn't really matter what you are wearing, boots always look good - heck boots with a wedding dress, I would even be tempted to try it, such is my passion. 

Well, this afternoon I discovered that this is my new favorite western vintage boot store.

The Wild West Store is owned by a lovely German lady, Ulli Johnston...a lady who is locally known as the "Boot Whisperer". It all started with 2 pairs of boots over 20 years ago she 
explained...a sort of personal collection at first, but now 17 years after owning her store - it's grown to over 500 pairs.

And this is a spectacular collection no doubt! 

All of her boots are authentic vintage boots, dating as far back as the 40's and no earlier than the 80's. She explains that even top of the line boot makers started going to China and India during the 90's and she won't have anything to do with that.

I asked her why she is known as the "Boot Whisperer" and she enthusiastically asked me to take my shoes off. I said sure, after having a look at my feet, my ankles, my calves...she disappeared into the back and pulled out a size 9 pair of boots that were from an exclusive Ralph Lauren collection during the 1970's. The client who had sold them to her, had hardly ever worn them and so they were in mint
condition. I didn't tell her I wear a size 10 and instead tried them on...and to my complete and utter surprise, they fit like a glove and I absolutely loved them. Boot Whisperer indeed!! I would not have chosen these boots, but the second I slipped them on, I knew we were fated to be. And at $295, the price was a definite steal.

She has customers from all over the world that have vacationed in Hill Country who even order via telephone, trusting her taste and suggestion of what would suit them. Just yesterday she explained a lady walked in and she said immediately: "red boots!!", with her strong German accent. The lady said: "Oh, no...I couldn't do red boots". Ulli disappeared once again, came out with red boots, the lady tried them on...and it was destined to be - she walked out in them.

Her prices range from $150 to over $2,000 a pair. But, I say, such is the price for boots that are MADE for walkin'.

Love, Kristina 

Wild West Store is located at 13709 Ranch Road 12 in 
Olde Town Plaza in Wimberely, Texas. Hours of operation 
are 10am to 5pm, Tuesdays and Wednesdays by appointment 
only. For more information, call 512.847.1219 or 
visit the website at www.KoolBoots.com


8 comments:

  1. Super cool store!! Love it...Very inspiring. I plan on having many 70s boots in my store!!!
    Look at how cute you are, xo.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Emily! I can't wait for your store...wow...that will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! way cool! i want me some boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the coolest store! Nice boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. V, we are so going there when you come out! And they have toddler (2yrs and up) vintage boots from the 40's...we'll have to snatch some up for Lili & Piper.

    Debbie, thank you babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place rocks I would go crazy in there

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO there! I need a pair right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Lily...you would!

    Morgan, I could totally see you in red boots!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete